Istiqlal hospital officials said on Sunday evening that ten victims of the deadly suicide bombing in Kabul earlier in the day were in a critical condition.
The bombing happened at about 10am on Sunday morning when dozens of people were waiting to apply for identity documents at a population registration office in Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul.
Officials earlier confirmed 52 people were killed and over 110 wounded – many of them women and children.
Most of the wounded were taken to Istiqlal and Emergency hospitals in Kabul.
Istiqlal hospital head Mohammad Sabir Nasib said they had taken in 54 wounded people, of whom at least half were women, plus some children.
“Over half of the wounded that have been brought to Istiqlal hospital are women,” Nasib said.
Dozens of people, related to victims, gathered outside the Emergency hospital in the city center on Sunday and said they were waiting for news of their loved ones.
“I think that the number of dead is over 150,” one relative said.
“Many school students were killed, you can see them at Barchi hospital. My brother has been killed and (his body) is in this hospital,” said the brother of a victim.
A number of the wounded said Sunday’s explosion had been terrifying and that the scene after the blast had been awful.
“People were afraid and were screaming. Bodies were everywhere,” Mohammad Juma, one wounded civilian said.
“When I sustained an injury to my arm, I fell to the ground and did not understand what was happening,” another victim said.
“People had gathered there and most of them were women and children,” another victim said.
According to the Afghan public health ministry, 52 people including men, women and children were killed and at least 112 others were wounded.
The public health ministry officials said these were not however the final figures.