Gen. Scott Miller, commander of Resolute Support MIssion and US forces in Afghanistan on Tuesday and said that so far violence is decreasing, suggesting that the reduction in violence plan is being upheld.
“We’re seeing what we would call a downward trend in violence, which is great for the Afghan people. It's great for the country of Afghanistan,” according to Miller.
“There's still some incidents and we're working through those incidents. We remain committed in our support to the Afghan security forces,” Miller said, adding that “The minister and I are talking about it every single day to make sure we're seeing what's happening on the ground together.”
Khalid, who visited a special unit in Kabul, said: “Today, we are here with our Ktah-Khas (special forces unit), and they have always been ready. Now, they have been conducting training and observing the (reduction in violence) situation.”
“We assure our people that our brave forces will arrive at any location, at any time, to resolve any issues or problems,” he said.
“This is a success for us. The sacrifices of our hard-working Afghan forces and patience of our great nation caused this reduction in violence,” he added.
He also said that in several locations the Afghans have celebrated the reduction in violence.
“In some provinces, the Taliban groups came into the cities and took photos with our soldiers. This is a big success for us,” according to Khalid.
On February 21, a reduction in violence plan kicked off that is intended to last for seven days. Upon its successful completion, according to statements by the US and Taliban, a peace deal negotiated between the two sides over the past 18 months in Doha, will be signed.
If the agreement signed, it will lead to intra-Afghan talks between the Taliban on one side, and a delegation representing the Afghan republic's government and political and civil establishment, on the other.