One year after a suicide bombing at a wedding hall in the west of Kabul that left over 60 civilians dead and 180 wounded, families of the victims said the security institutions have failed to probe the incident, which happened at midnight on August 18 last year.
The families blamed the government for neglecting the plight of victims’ families and for not giving them a role in the peace process.
The blast happened during a wedding ceremony of a young couple from Ghazni at Kabul Dubai wedding hall.
Mohammad Jawad, lost his three sons and 21 other family members in the suicide bombing.
“This incident should have been investigated and the details should have been shared with us. When we go to the wedding hall, they say that their cameras were deleted by the security officials, and the security officials say that the wedding hall employees are not cooperating with them,” Jawad said.
“There are families who have been left without a caretaker. Many of them are living in rental houses and don’t have the ability to pay the rent,” said Noor Aqa, a relative of the victims.
Some relatives of the victims held a protest on Monday, calling for further attention to an investigation of the incident.
“We are not safe in mosque, in wedding halls, at funeral ceremonies, at universities. Therefore, we call on the government to improve its intelligence networks,” said Reza Muzaffar, a religious scholar.
“The relatives of victims are supporting the peace process but expect that justice should be considered in the talks and the blood of the martyrs should not be ignored,” said Aqila Shahristani, a relative of the victims.
Many suicide bombings and explosions have happened in Kabul over the last few years but a probe of a few of them has been completed. Critics said such incidents require a thorough investigation.
“Because they don’t have a strategy, they are not those who can conduct operations--take action. Those who cannot conduct operations, they can never achieve success,” said Atiqullah Amarkhil, a military affairs analyst.
But the Interior Ministry’s spokesman Tariq Arian said the Afghan security forces are ready to pursue Daesh and other groups to prevent them from killing Afghans.