An attack by seven gunmen, with three explosive-laden vehicles, at a police special unit compound in the eastern city of Khost, ended after nine hours, said the spokesman for Khost's governor, Talib Mangal. The spokesperson said all gunmen had been killed.
Seven attackers were involved in the attack, according to officials.
The attack started with a car bomb explosion and was followed by exchanges of gunfire between the attackers and security force members.
Initial reports indicate that the attack left three people dead and over 30 others wounded.
Two explosive-laden vehicles were prevented from detonating, governor Patman told reporters in an interview that was slightly interrupted by an explosion sound.
The attack started at around 6 am local time on Tuesday morning and ended at around 3 pm. The car bomb detonated close to the wall of the police special forces center, said Talib Mangal, a spokesman for the provincial governor.
No group including the Taliban has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.