Latest news
Thumbnail

US Withdrawal From Afghanistan Nearly Complete: CENTCOM

The US has completed “more than 90 percent” of its withdrawal from Afghanistan, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed in a statement on Tuesday. 

This follows the US and coalition forces pullout from Bagram Airfield, which for nearly 20 years was the largest US base in Afghanistan. 

“As of July 5, Department of Defense has retrograded the equivalent of approximately 984 C-17 aircraft- loads of material out of Afghanistan and has turned over nearly 17,074 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposition," the release stated.

CENTCOM did not say how many US troops remain in Afghanistan. Between 2,500 and 3,500 were in the country when President Joe Biden announced in April that all US forces would withdraw by Sept. 11, according to reports. 

On Tuesday, John F. Kirby, Pentagon spokesman, at a press conference said that the US Defense Department was in active discussions with the State Department regarding "the nature of what that capability will be."  

He mentioned that there's a carrier strike group in the region and facilities throughout the Middle East that could be useful if needed. 

"Our commitment to the future of a stable and secure Afghanistan has not changed. It's just going to look different. We're just not going to be on the ground the way we are now," he said. 

Kirby also discussed other bilateral activities with Afghanistan. 

There are still contractors in Afghanistan providing support to their security forces and air force, he said. "We are actively working [on ways] in which that contract support can be done remotely or virtually or even physically outside the country." 

About 650 troops are expected to remain to protect the US Embassy in Kabul, while others may be deployed to protect the capital’s airport alongside Turkish troops, according to reports. 

US Withdrawal From Afghanistan Nearly Complete: CENTCOM

Last week, the US and coalition forces had left Bagram Airfield. 

Thumbnail

The US has completed “more than 90 percent” of its withdrawal from Afghanistan, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed in a statement on Tuesday. 

This follows the US and coalition forces pullout from Bagram Airfield, which for nearly 20 years was the largest US base in Afghanistan. 

“As of July 5, Department of Defense has retrograded the equivalent of approximately 984 C-17 aircraft- loads of material out of Afghanistan and has turned over nearly 17,074 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposition," the release stated.

CENTCOM did not say how many US troops remain in Afghanistan. Between 2,500 and 3,500 were in the country when President Joe Biden announced in April that all US forces would withdraw by Sept. 11, according to reports. 

On Tuesday, John F. Kirby, Pentagon spokesman, at a press conference said that the US Defense Department was in active discussions with the State Department regarding "the nature of what that capability will be."  

He mentioned that there's a carrier strike group in the region and facilities throughout the Middle East that could be useful if needed. 

"Our commitment to the future of a stable and secure Afghanistan has not changed. It's just going to look different. We're just not going to be on the ground the way we are now," he said. 

Kirby also discussed other bilateral activities with Afghanistan. 

There are still contractors in Afghanistan providing support to their security forces and air force, he said. "We are actively working [on ways] in which that contract support can be done remotely or virtually or even physically outside the country." 

About 650 troops are expected to remain to protect the US Embassy in Kabul, while others may be deployed to protect the capital’s airport alongside Turkish troops, according to reports. 

Share this post