Herat governor Sayed Wahid Qatali on Thursday said that Afghanistan will not accept any compromise on the issue of the alleged drowning of Afghan migrants by the Iranian border police, reiterating the call for the arrest of the perpetrators involved in the incident.
At the end of April, over 50 Afghan migrants were trying to cross the border when they were “tortured and drowned” by Iranian guards, according to eyewitnesses.
“The perpetrators of this crime must be identified,” said Qatali.
Qatali pledged to provide work and financial assistance to the families who lost their loved ones in the incident.
Meanwhile, the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) has said that Afghanistan has completed its investigation and shared the outcome of the probe with the Iranian government.
“The Afghan side has completed its assessments of the incident…the Minister of Foreign Affairs explained all the evidence to the Iranian delegation. The Iranian delegation received the documents and evidence and pledged to inform the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs after pursuing the matter with the Iranian institutions,” said Geran Hewad, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Prior to this, the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) in a report said that the Afghan migrants were "forced by the Iranian border guards to go into the river."
This comes after a probe team led by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Mohsin Baharwand on Tuesday met with Haneef Atmar, Afghanistan's acting foreign minister, and the two sides discussed issues around the investigation of the border incident.
On May 22, the Afghan Foreign Ministry said that talks between Afghan border commissioners and Iran concerning the incident ended without results on Friday.
Earlier this month, President Ashraf Ghani tasked a 10-member team to probe reports of the drowning of dozens of Afghan migrants by Iranian border guards.