Latest news
Thumbnail

Interior Ministry Confirms Spike in Casualty Toll This Year

The Afghan Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Sunday confirmed there has been a sharp rise in casualties among security forces in the past few weeks after Taliban insurgents expanded their attacks on multiple fronts. 

This comes after Taliban insurgents sought to expand their attacks in some strategic locations of Baghlan, Kunduz, Faryab, Uruzgan, Ghor and Farah provinces. 

“This year, the Afghan security forces had vast movements across the country, whenever the role of security forces is increased in war, it is natural the number of casualties would also increase,” said MoI spokesman Najib Danish. 

Hundreds of civilians have reportedly fled their homes in these areas besieged by war. 

Jaghor, Khogyani and Malistan districts in Ghazni; Dasht-e-Archi in Kunduz; Farah city in Farah; Barka and Dahan-e-Ghori districts in Baghlan; and Trinkot in Uruzgan are among the areas where the Taliban launched fresh offensives to challenge government forces in recent weeks. 

According to reports, fighting is ongoing between the Taliban and Afghan forces in Ghazni’s Malistan and Jaghori districts. 

"Hundreds of families have fled their homes, they do not have fuel, food and other basic needs," said one resident in Ghazni Abdul Hamid Natiqi.

"There is no food or water, if government does not take action, there is the possibility that the district will collapse," said a Baghlan resident, Nemat.

Reports indicate that both sides have suffered a massive casualty toll.  

This comes after The Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Thursday said reinforcement troops have been sent to Jaghori district in Ghazni province and Baghlan’s Dahana-e-Ghori District to repel Taliban attacks in the two regions.

Last week MoD officials said more than 16 Taliban fighters had been killed in Dahana-e-Ghori in Baghlan.

The Jaghori district clashes come just three months after Taliban launched group attacks on Ghazni and seized parts of the city.

On Wednesday the Taliban launched group attacks from a few directions on Jaghori district, one of Afghanistan’s most secure districts in Ghazni province. 

Violence has also gripped Uruzgan province over the past week. 

Uruzgan representatives in the senate and parliament last week said hundreds of families have been displaced due to the clashes in the province. 

Interior Ministry Confirms Spike in Casualty Toll This Year

The increase in casualties among security forces comes as the Taliban ramps up attacks in large parts of the country, including Kunduz and Uruzgan. 

Thumbnail

The Afghan Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Sunday confirmed there has been a sharp rise in casualties among security forces in the past few weeks after Taliban insurgents expanded their attacks on multiple fronts. 

This comes after Taliban insurgents sought to expand their attacks in some strategic locations of Baghlan, Kunduz, Faryab, Uruzgan, Ghor and Farah provinces. 

“This year, the Afghan security forces had vast movements across the country, whenever the role of security forces is increased in war, it is natural the number of casualties would also increase,” said MoI spokesman Najib Danish. 

Hundreds of civilians have reportedly fled their homes in these areas besieged by war. 

Jaghor, Khogyani and Malistan districts in Ghazni; Dasht-e-Archi in Kunduz; Farah city in Farah; Barka and Dahan-e-Ghori districts in Baghlan; and Trinkot in Uruzgan are among the areas where the Taliban launched fresh offensives to challenge government forces in recent weeks. 

According to reports, fighting is ongoing between the Taliban and Afghan forces in Ghazni’s Malistan and Jaghori districts. 

"Hundreds of families have fled their homes, they do not have fuel, food and other basic needs," said one resident in Ghazni Abdul Hamid Natiqi.

"There is no food or water, if government does not take action, there is the possibility that the district will collapse," said a Baghlan resident, Nemat.

Reports indicate that both sides have suffered a massive casualty toll.  

This comes after The Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Thursday said reinforcement troops have been sent to Jaghori district in Ghazni province and Baghlan’s Dahana-e-Ghori District to repel Taliban attacks in the two regions.

Last week MoD officials said more than 16 Taliban fighters had been killed in Dahana-e-Ghori in Baghlan.

The Jaghori district clashes come just three months after Taliban launched group attacks on Ghazni and seized parts of the city.

On Wednesday the Taliban launched group attacks from a few directions on Jaghori district, one of Afghanistan’s most secure districts in Ghazni province. 

Violence has also gripped Uruzgan province over the past week. 

Uruzgan representatives in the senate and parliament last week said hundreds of families have been displaced due to the clashes in the province. 

Share this post