Latest news
Thumbnail

Taliban Initiated 2,804 Attacks Post-Peace Deal: Official

The Taliban has conducted an average of 55 attacks per day since the signing of the peace deal with the United States in Doha on February 29, according to figures provided by the Office of the National Security Council (ONSC) on Saturday.

The ONSC spokesman Javid Faisal at a press conference said that the Taliban conducted 2,804 attacks from the beginning of March to April 19, adding the group "does not remain committed to the reconciliation process that will help the country to end decades of war."

The attacks, he said, left 789 civilians dead and wounded, and that “34 civilians were killed in Taliban attacks during the last week, and "62 others were wounded.”

According to Faisal, "2,737 Taliban fighters" were killed and wounded during this period.

“Their terrorist attacks have increased and they are doing it against the will of the people and this will affect the peace process,” Faisal said.

This comes as the Taliban recently shared documents seen by TOLOnews claiming that the US and its allies have “violated” the peace deal by targeting the group with attacks.

The ONSC spokesman said the Afghan forces are in "active defensive" mode in which “they are allowed to launch operations” if they find that the Taliban is planning to attack an area.

In the last 24 hours alone, the provinces of Sar-e-Pul, Ghazni, Balkh and Faryab witnessed clashes between government forces and the Taliban, "killing 26 civilians and security force members and wounding over 40 others," according to officials.

“We had eight people killed and nine wounded. Also, in Sozma Qala district, where Taliban conducted attacks, three people were killed and eight others wounded,” said Abdul Qadir Ashna, the governor of Sar-e-Pul province.

A former Taliban commander, Sayed Akbar Agha, said the two sides should keep their end of the bargain in tbe peace deal.

“The Taliban say that Americans have not implemented their commitments,” he said.

This comes as President Ghani last week on the eve of Ramadan appealed to the Taliban to enact a ceasefire, in light of the pandemic spreading across the country.

The Taliban responded by calling the appeal improbable and insincere considering the government's continued detention of thousands of Taliban prisoners--vulnerable to contracting COVID-19--and for causing other "hurdles" to be in the way of the peace process.

The increase in violence has led to a statement by NATO and its allies calling on the Taliban to reduce violence and agree on a humanitarian ceasefire.

US Ambassador to NATO Hutchisen said the US and its NATO allies have “unanimously approved a resolution calling on Afghan political leaders to resolve their differences,” and they also call on Taliban to "reduce violence."

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation also renewed its appeal to “Afghan leaders and parties to urgently reduce violence and work for lasting ceasefire.”

Taliban Initiated 2,804 Attacks Post-Peace Deal: Official

The ONSC spokesman said that 34 civilians were killed in Taliban attacks last week.  

Thumbnail

The Taliban has conducted an average of 55 attacks per day since the signing of the peace deal with the United States in Doha on February 29, according to figures provided by the Office of the National Security Council (ONSC) on Saturday.

The ONSC spokesman Javid Faisal at a press conference said that the Taliban conducted 2,804 attacks from the beginning of March to April 19, adding the group "does not remain committed to the reconciliation process that will help the country to end decades of war."

The attacks, he said, left 789 civilians dead and wounded, and that “34 civilians were killed in Taliban attacks during the last week, and "62 others were wounded.”

According to Faisal, "2,737 Taliban fighters" were killed and wounded during this period.

“Their terrorist attacks have increased and they are doing it against the will of the people and this will affect the peace process,” Faisal said.

This comes as the Taliban recently shared documents seen by TOLOnews claiming that the US and its allies have “violated” the peace deal by targeting the group with attacks.

The ONSC spokesman said the Afghan forces are in "active defensive" mode in which “they are allowed to launch operations” if they find that the Taliban is planning to attack an area.

In the last 24 hours alone, the provinces of Sar-e-Pul, Ghazni, Balkh and Faryab witnessed clashes between government forces and the Taliban, "killing 26 civilians and security force members and wounding over 40 others," according to officials.

“We had eight people killed and nine wounded. Also, in Sozma Qala district, where Taliban conducted attacks, three people were killed and eight others wounded,” said Abdul Qadir Ashna, the governor of Sar-e-Pul province.

A former Taliban commander, Sayed Akbar Agha, said the two sides should keep their end of the bargain in tbe peace deal.

“The Taliban say that Americans have not implemented their commitments,” he said.

This comes as President Ghani last week on the eve of Ramadan appealed to the Taliban to enact a ceasefire, in light of the pandemic spreading across the country.

The Taliban responded by calling the appeal improbable and insincere considering the government's continued detention of thousands of Taliban prisoners--vulnerable to contracting COVID-19--and for causing other "hurdles" to be in the way of the peace process.

The increase in violence has led to a statement by NATO and its allies calling on the Taliban to reduce violence and agree on a humanitarian ceasefire.

US Ambassador to NATO Hutchisen said the US and its NATO allies have “unanimously approved a resolution calling on Afghan political leaders to resolve their differences,” and they also call on Taliban to "reduce violence."

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation also renewed its appeal to “Afghan leaders and parties to urgently reduce violence and work for lasting ceasefire.”

Share this post