The Taliban has carried out yet another massive suicide bombing attack against a security forces facility, this time at an Afghan National Army base in Maiwand district in Kandahar province.
According to security officials 43 soldiers were killed, nine were wounded, two are unharmed and six are unaccounted for. There had been 60 soldiers deployed to the base.
One source said the attack took place on Wednesday night after two suicide attackers with Humvee vehicles detonated their explosive-laden vehicles.
Other insurgents then stormed the base, the source said. Security forces fired back.
Meanwhile another source told TOLOnews that: “First one of the suicide bombers detonated his explosives with a Humvee vehicle and the other insurgents opened fire on security forces.”
“The base did not fall to the Taliban but while the clash was going on foreign troops carried out an airstrike which killed 10 Taliban insurgents.”
Gen. Abdul Raziq, provincial police chief of Kandahar has confirmed the attack on the base but did not provide further details.
The ministry of defense has not yet commented, however the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Wednesday night’s attack was one of a number of deadly incidents to hit the province in the past few months.
Included among a list of incidents, at least 26 Afghan soldiers were killed in July and 13 wounded in a Taliban attack on a military base in the Karzali area of Khakrez district.
In May this year, at least 10 Afghan soldiers were killed in another attack on an army base in the Shawali Kot district.