The Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) claims $450,000 was embezzled from a fund intended to support the Afghan team in the T20 World Cup 2021.
According to ACB, there are unclear issues surrounding the contract signed between the Sediqqi Group and the former administration of ACB, led then by Azizullah Fazli, and it is unclear how the money was spent.
Despite repeated calls and messages, TOLOnews was unable to obtain a comment from either Fazli or the Sediqqi Group.
The Islamic Emirate has also not commented on this.
The ACB claimed that the $450,000 was part of a deal between Fazli and the Sediqqi Group but there are no solid documents providing transparency on the matter except several emails.
The ACB said that the fund has not been used for the sponsorship of the Afghan team.
“The contracts have been made between the two sides, the former head of the ACB and the company,” said Farid Hotak, a spokesman for the ACB.
The ACB ahead of 2021 announced on Facebook that it had signed a contract for $450,000 with the Sediqqi Group as a sponsor of the Afghan team.
Meanwhile, the ACB in a meeting on May 20 decided to launch a serious probe into the issue but the details have yet to be shared with the media.
“The ACB selected a group to probe the issue and instructed it to summon the individuals to provide details about the contract and use of funds,” said Khan Jan Alokozai, a member of the ACB.
“The leadership of the ACB demanded the former head of the ACB and the Seddiqi Group to pay the money which was contracted between the two sides but there has yet to be any positive response so far and the money is in a state of uncertainty,” said ACB’s spokesman Farid Hotak.
Comment this post